**~+~- welcome to MakoHaru Sweet Sequence!! this is a contest where you draw makoharu comic strips and/or what i am going to call “mini manga.” -~+~**
background info: “makoharu” is the shipping of haruka nanase x makoto tachibana, from free!! free! has been my anime obsession for the past year… lol. the anime came out this past summer and has 12 episodes, but a second season is on its way! <3333 the official place to watch english subbed free! is crunchyroll. www.crunchyroll.com/free-iwato… if you need an unofficial place to watch it, search for sites where you can watch anime online, pick a site, and then search within that site and free! might be there.
i’m creating this contest because i’ve been wanting to create some kind of makoharu event for months now. originally i was going to do a secret illustration/comic exchange event, like a secret santa. it was called “makoharu sweet surprise.” but i decided to do a contest instead of an exchange event, because that’s easier to organize. and i decided to just do comics. so now it’s called “makoharu sweet sequence,” because, sequential art
here are the rules. READ EVERYTHING CAREFULLY!!! if you miss or forget about a rule, it’s your fault. it’s your responsibility to know the rules, so don’t blame me.
- comics can either be strips or mini manga, but there is only one contest even though there are two types of entries.
- a strip is just a row or of small panels that are all the same size. (though, the panels don’t have to have borders.) examples: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5)
- a mini manga is different than a strip. it’s like a manga… you know, those things you read entire chapters and volumes of! but obviously creating manga takes a lot of time. so i’m not expecting a 30-page chapter, you only have time to do much less than that. and i’m not expecting professional quality artwork. yes, put effort into your work. but it’s okay if the work is somewhat rough, not the best quality. this is why i say “mini manga” instead of just “manga.” here are some examples: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5)
- works can be sketched, inked, or in color. it doesn’t matter which one you choose as long as it looks neat and clean. also, make sure that readers are able to tell what’s going on.
- comic strips must be at least 4 panels long.
- works can be done digitally or traditionally. if you do traditional work and you don’t have a scanner, take as good a photo as you can, and edit it with a program such as pixlr editor. pixlr.com/editor btw, don’t use lined paper!!
- there is no minimum page count for manga but you are encouraged to do at least 4 pages.
- right-to-left and left-to-right are both okay.
- multiple entries not only allowed, but encouraged. XD i just want to see more comics, lol. that said, put effort into your work and don’t rush.
- for comic fonts, look at www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=1… remember that the font you choose in a comic seems like a minor detail but is actually important. for the overall look of the work. or if you don’t want to use a font, you can handwrite- but you must have neat handwriting.
- check your spelling and grammar. or you may want to ask someone for help.
- when drawing, i recommend flipping the paper or digital canvas periodically while sketching in order to check for mistakes and symmetry problems. (if it’s paper, flip and hold up to a light. or hold up to a mirror) i do this too!
- when making a manga, plan your panels well! different panel sizes and arrangements show how fast time is passing. another tip: the size and shape of speech bubbles determine how loud the words are being spoken, and in what tone of voice.
- no copying, tracing, bases, stealing… don’t cheat. do your own work! (unless you want to collab with someone else…?? you’d have to split the prize though lol)
- all entries must be newly created for this contest, not things you've already done before.
- sexually explicit content is allowed, but be sure to put a mature content label if you’re on da, and warn people on tumblr as well. also, i am not saying that sexually explicit works will be more- or less- likely to win the contest.
- alternate universe settings allowed. (example: the arabian au in the ending animation)
- shipping rules: works must have makoto and haru either in love with each other, hinting at love, or at least that they have such a strong friendship that is stronger than their friendships with anyone else. and they must only love each other. no three-person ships. it has to be just haru and mako. no one-sided/unrequited love where the other person does not return the same feelings. that includes if one wants to be romantic and the other does want to be friends, but not romantic. that is still sad, so don’t do it. works can include other free! characters as long as they aren’t the main focus.
- a note about word usage: i always use “makoharu” to describe the ship of those two characters just because i want to stick to one consistent name. i never use “makoharu” to specifically describe top makoto/ bottom haru, i just say “top makoto.” and i never say “harumako” at all. i just say “top haru.” the point is, when i say “makoharu” i am not referring to who is on top, i’m just talking about the ship in general.
- haru references!!! (1) (2) (3) (4) makoto references!!! (1) (2) (3) (4)
eligibility: anyone with a tumblr or da account can enter. if you don’t have one, you will have to sign up for an account.
last day to enter: may 17th. but, DON’T PROCRASTINATE. try to get your work done earlier than you need to. make an effort to finish on time!! i can tell you from personal experience, procrastination is not fun >__<
mhss deviantart folder: sachi-pon.deviantart.com/favou…
how to enter: submit your work as a tumblr post and/or deviation. write in the artist’s comments or tumblr post that this is an entry for makoharu sweet sequence, and put in a link to this page. send me a comment/note on da, or a message/fanmail on tumblr, with a link to your work. all entries it’ll be linked to on the participants page, but all da entries will be in the folder, too! btw, if your entry is multiple pages, and it’s on da, submit each page as a separate deviation and link to the next page in the artist’s comments of each page. you only have to send me a link to the first page though.
grand prize winner!!
one person will be chosen. if their entry has pretty artwork, and/or if the writing is especially sweet, clever, or funny… i’ll notice! i’ll pick my favorite entry and that person will be the winner!
the grand prize winner gets these prizes:
- get a link to your da/tumblr/whatever advertised at the top of my makoharu blog makoharuland.tumblr.com/ for two whole months! this is a great prize because it will increase traffic to your site(s).
- one 8.5” x 11” color illustration done by me! can be makoharu related, doesn’t have to be. it can be any anime characters, or your oc’s. detailed background acceptable! multiple characters acceptable! some sexual content acceptable but not explicit content.
- **OR…** one makoharu mini manga or comic strip…!!! yes that’s right, you will give me an idea and i’ll draw it out in a comic! yes i am very excited about this… depending on your idea, it might take me a while lol. we’ll talk it out.
- i will use $25USD to commission a deviant artist of your choice, and you’ll tell me what you want them to draw! <3333 (the commission doesn’t have to be makoharu related.) if you don’t know who to commission, i’ll help you find someone. why am i doing this? because there are a lot of artists who want to sell commissions! so i am going to do something to help one artist who is selling commissions. <3
don’t think you can win the grand prize? it’s okay- everyone who enters has a random chance to win a “lucky winner” prize, and the prize is one half size (5.5” x 8.5”) pencil sketch done by me, of one character. (and i’ll throw in some digital editing to color the pencil lines, gray is boring) plus, lucky winners will get some kind of special feature/recognition/attention.
i don’t know how many lucky winners there will be. it depends on how many people enter. so i’ll only make a decision after the deadline passes. but… quantity matters. each one comic strip or one page of manga will count as one chance to win! (if it’s a very long strip, i’ll count it twice) so, the more you do, the more chances you have to win!
want to donate prizes? let me know if you want to give one big prize to the grand prize winner, and/or a few small prizes for the lucky winners. prizes can be money, artwork, comics, or fics. prize donators are still eligible to enter the contest, but being a prize donor doesn’t increase your chances of winning. prize donating is just for fun, you don’t get anything in return eheheh
okay… THAT’S IT!!! start thinking about what you are going to draw ^___^ and, PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD ABOUT THIS BY FAVING OR POSTING ON YOUR TUMBLR OR SOMEWHERE OKAAAAYYY
if you have a question, ask me! if you want to post about this contest on tumblr, you can tag it as “makoharu sweet sequence”. be sure to spell it right! i will be tracking the tag. if you might be entering, leave a comment below, or here!
sidenote: if you want to read awesome makoharu doujins from japan, check out always here scans ^___^ because there is some great stuff there omg <333 those doujins really inspire me!! ;___; they might inspire you too… so definitely go there. but the doujins themselves are on another site, not the tumblr page i linked to. be sure to read all of the information on their tumblr page.